Saturday, June 23, 2012

It seems that every time I finally have a chance to blog, I end up apologizing- so here it goes again! I am sorry that we have been so busy with so many new and exciting things in our lives-- but that is worth not having time to sit and blog.
The last time I blogged I mentioned that Matt had promised me a new kitchen for my 21st birthday!! (I don't want to hear, wow you're so young! Oh if you only knew how old my heart was and how fast I had to grow up!) I digress..
Well I am happy to report that my kitchen is well on its way to being complete!! It is currently 12:07am and Matt just left to go BACK up to the shop to grab a few pieces he left that attach to my lazy susan. Last night he installed three major pieces and already I can see a TOTAL difference! We still have all the "bases" left (that means the bottom part of the cabinets- I'm learning lots!) but other than that we are good to go. However, those dang counter tops are not anywhere close to being installed. It would help if we went ahead and ordered them- but we have NO idea what we want. We have been to several places and have ideas- but wow. So we decided to take a break on that because it was stressing us out more than it should have!

Here is a list of what we have done so far
changed utility to where the pantry was and pantry to where utility was. Our utility was IN the kitchen and we all know those folded clothes were going to end up on the island in the middle of the kitchen. So, to cut out that problem, we turned the walk-in pantry (located in the sun room) into the new and improved laundry room.
Now the former utility is a BEAUTIFUL pantry/fridge nook. It has our new fridge and around it, Matt built this giant built -in pantry with giant pull out drawers, adjustable shelves and the coolest little cooking tray/cookie sheet slots! Above the fridge are two big doors with more shelves :) It already makes the kitchen look so much bigger! Now, where the fridge used to be (opposite side of the new pantry) we have cabinets and counters that will reach all the way down the wall. Plate rack included and massive pull our drawers for pots and pans! I will also now have a giant lazy susan next to my FABULOUS pull out double shelf spice rack! We also purchased a white apron front farmhouse sink and new dishwasher. I cannot wait for it to all be done!! I will be posting pics at a later date! I will say that it has been much more emotional than I thought it would be. As I was sitting in the new laundry room texturing the walls, I thought of how my childhood kitchen would never look the same again. I wanted so badly for them to come in our home and see how hard we had been working. I wanted them to be proud of us- but I guess more than anything..I just wanted them back.. O gosh, there I go again a blubbering idiot. I guess I should digress before Matt walks in on his emotional wreck of a wife!
I think another part of all the emotion is because Matt has been working his butt off day and night to give me the PERFECT kitchen. Blood, sweat and tears we have put into this. I haven't had someone who was willing to work this hard for me in a long time- who loved me to no end and put up with me in the wee hours of the morning when I was complaining and wanted to go to bed. He never quit and he never got mad. I just can't believe how blessed I am to have such a man like him!

Changing subjects completely before I start to lose it again.
We both have new jobs! He has joined a wonderful company called SOZO- check it out and I will let him tell you all about it since he knows more about it than I do. My new job is teaching 8th-10th grade at an amazing privately owned Christian school called Legacy Christian. It literally fell in my lap and what an honor at that. I cannot wait to start teaching. I will admit I am very nervous and hope that I am good at it but I know "if God brings you to it, He will see you through it!" We are very blessed and looking forward to our new chapter!
With that comes a tough part that not many people know. I will not be returning to DBU in the fall. There are many reasons and complicated things that have ultimately lead to this decision, but we feel strongly that this is where God wants us. I never saw me leaving DBU but when one door closes another opens. DBU was for a season of life and a season of healing but ultimately it was my only home. Things have changed now and life is much brighter- I am ready to fly :) I still would like to get my degree in art but I have to wait until this new season of life passes. Matt will continue at DBU in the fall and will also be working with his new company. We feel that it's best for him to continue and finish getting his degree because he is so close and unlike art, he can't pick up a biblical studies degree just anywhere.

We are definitely looking forward to see how God uses this new season in our lives- nervous and excited but hopeful for beautiful things!

2 Comments:

At June 24, 2012 at 6:48 PM , Blogger Sara said...

I can't wait to see pictures of the new kitchen!!! And CONGRATS on the new job!! It sounds perfect and the school looks wonderful! (I checked out the website:) So happy for you guys!!!

 
At July 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM , Blogger Matthew and Shelby said...

Thank you!! haha it is wonderful! It is Matt Russel's school :) I will be posting pics of the kitchen for sure!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home